1. Getting a MailChimp Account
So let’s sign up for a mailchimp account to sign up for a mailchimp account visit here. Sign up free button at the top.
- You’ll then be taken to get started with a free account so type in an email address that you want to use for your MailChimp account.
So this would be the email address that you would be sending emails out from.
- Now that you’ve entered an email address you can choose to either use that email address as your username or you could enter a user name with only letters and numbers.
So in this case I’ll just keep the email and the user name the same and then they have password requirements down here someone to choose a password that meets their requirements and then click get started.
Then they’ll say check your email we’ve sent a message to the email address you’ve used to sign up for this with a link to activate your account and when we go into our email we’ll see at the top.
- Click the button and say activate account then you’ll need to confirm that you’re a human.
- So we click. I’m not a robot. And then it’ll take us to this welcome process.
- So we type in our name and click Continue.
- Type in the name of your business.
- And then what’s your Web site.
- You can also use your Facebook or Twitter, then continue.
- Now one of the requirements is that you need to add a physical address because of international anti spam laws.
Use an address that you feel comfortable giving out to all of your e-mail subscribers. Continue until you finish all the process, just answer all the question based on what your company is running.
2. Groups, Tags and Merge Fields
So to see how this is done if we click in here we will see ourself on the list. So we have one subscriber that’s us. If we had added any tags we would see the tags here under the tags column.
- If you click under managed contacts you will see a variety of things you can do.
So you can create groups segments tags you can import and export your contacts. You could delete all your contacts for the list et cetera.
- So if we click under groups, no groups are really good for sign up forms for letting subscribers pick what group they want to be – in like what are they interested in what emails would they like to receive. Even what frequency of e-mail do they want to receive.
3. Uploading Your List
Upload your list click under add contacts import contacts and then they’ll ask Where do you want to import contacts from.
- CSP file or text file
- Copy and paste from a file
- Or from an integrated service like Google Contacts Salesforce Zendesk and more.
I would recommend one of the first two options because we’re thinking groups of contacts and we’re thinking tags so the first three options are good because we can say this import of these contacts from this file we want to tag every single one of them with this same tag.
So as we import and tag all at once we can create a list that’s already been tagged and put into the categories that we want. Let’s try copy and paste method then, paste information on the text area – the pattern is visible email… first name… and so on. In this case I am just adding myself twice more.
I do suggest tagging the imported contacts you know so if you import let’s say a few hundred we can press plus we can create a first tag here so we can say friends let’s say you can tag them with more than one tag so we can go in here and create another tag. Click Import and the contacts were added to your list. Now you see all of them here and you see the tags under the imported contacts.
4. MailChimp Landing Pages
So now to add additional subscribers to your MailChimp Email list we can go under.
- Let’s create landing pages via Create Campaign > Landing Page.
- Give the landing page name and will redirect it to multiple themes you can pick depending on your needs.
You can edit the theme by clicking the element, align them etc depending on what style you prefer. After all the necessary changes you want proceed to saving the landing page.
Additional information are given after the landing page saving, input the necessary information then Publish your landing page. You can now use that landing page in sending email as template.
5. Forwarding Domain Names to MailChimp Landing Pages
If you want your own domain name to then forward to a MailChimp landing page, register a domain name with your domain name registrar, and follow these instructions (based on where you registered your domain).
Domain Discount 24:
If your domain name registrar is not listed, contact me and I will add a link to a tutorial for your domain name registrar.
6. HTML Code to Add Subscribers
You can also copy paste the HTML code for MailChimp into a page builder like the element or page builder for WordPress or a variety of other page builders that you use online.
So to do this
- Go under lists and click on the name of your list.
- Then click on sign up forms and embedded forms and you can see a preview of your form over here where it says subscribe to our mailing list.
We can say do we want interest group fields required field indicators etc. And in order to put this on your site
- Click and copy the source code so we can do like command to see if you’re on a Mac control see if you’re on Windows you can even click up in your web browser go edit copy
- Go into your each terminal code or your page builder for example if we go under element or for WordPress
- You can see under elements there is an HTML element and if we drag and drop this each team l element into our page and we paste the HTML under HTML code for a MailChimp then we can see our MailChimp sign up form right here in the middle of our WordPress page and we could either press publish or save draft to save this.
7. Adding Subscribers with Zapier
There are other ways to add subscribers to your MailChimp list, this is thru Zapier. Connect apps and automate workflows like they say. So one of the things that can be done is you can say if a new lead comes in let’s say through Facebook lead ads.
- Go to Zapier and click Make A Zap, various apps will be presented to you and we will pick the Facebook Leads Ads.
- Connect your Facebook etc, the rest will follow.
- Then you can click Continue and we could say pulling samples. Even if you don’t have leads in your Facebook lead ads they will create example data with which you could work with.
So what happens is triggers and actions. When a new lead comes in then we want to say add a step. We can also build different steps for different rules put in filters pause actions for a certain amount of time change how incoming data is formatted for later steps. But for now we just say action and we click on MailChimp and we can say add or update subscriber. If they already are a subscriber you’ll just update their info. But if they’re a new one it will add them as a new subscriber. So we say Save and Continue.
You can now select your MailChimp account or click here to connect a MailChimp account and then click save and continue and you have to click a list pull through a subscriber email and you can say continue and it will send through the subscribers e-mail address to MailChimp so we can say send test to MailChimp.
It’ll send through this test e-mail. After that after that it will say okay a test subscriber was sent to your MailChimp just now we can say finish we could name this something like Facebook to MailChimp and we can turn this app on and it says while on this app will instantly run when the Facebook lead adds new lead.
8. Welcome Email
Let’s now create our welcome email for our new subscribers. So how do we create a welcome email?
- Go to Campaigns > Create Campaign > Choose Email > Automated > New Subscribers
So we can title the campaign select the list we want this to belong to and click begin and now you’ll see that MailChimp has already filled in some of these details for you.
Now you could edit this debt add a delay so you can say it should be an hour six hours a day after they join your list. If you make a change to this make sure to click save you can edit the from the subject. And so are the other options, explore everything but don’t forget to click Save if you edit something.
Let’s go deeper with editing our content design, click Edit Design. You can see the first name condition, display the name of the subscriber if it exists. Explore more, like image or logo upload, so you just drag and drop these blocks over and create your e-mail. Once you are done editing your welcome message you can come up here and you can click Preview and test.
After all the testing and editing your welcome message click Save and Continue and then click Start Sending. And it says you’re about to start an automation that will send to your list and click Start Now. And now it says Rock On you’ve started an automation and now we can just click back to campaigns to see the welcome message in addition to our landing page.
9. Automated Email
So we’ve been working with automated emails but for specific purposes for just welcoming people and onboarding them now to send other types of automated emails
- Click Create campaign email
- Go under automated and we can send emails around all sorts of conditions such as say happy birthday.
That is if you are collecting birthdays within merge fields you can say OK if today’s date is someone’s birthday you could send a coupon code for a certain percentage off of a product or service.
You can do various things around e-commerce and so you can if you connect e-commerce into mail chip send out e-mails based off of how people are interacting with your online store. You can do date based so you can say send a one-time message based off of an individual date field like an appointment. You can say happy birthday you can remind people to renew a membership or celebrate a special day. You can do list at a date. You can also do things based off the API so you can trigger an e-mail series when an API call.
So there are a lot of things you can do with automation emails and feel free to explore that more.
10. Email Broadcasts
So far we’ve just covered automated e-mails. What happens if you just want to send an email to your list? You can do the following:
- Create campaign
- Click under email and just regular create an email so we can say test email
- Click Begin
- Click Add Recipients, we can say all subscribers on list or we can do a specific tag or a specific segment within the list. Edit the following information presented below.
For the most important part, lets edit our design page.
- Click Design Email and if we go here we can select a layout.
If you see one that fits otherwise you could go with something like simple text you can edit this. Edit content, heading, style, and so on.
After all the necessary edit, and fixes. You can either schedule the sending on a certain time or you can cancel and or we could say send and it will send the email right after clicking.